Regulatory Information

Home Property Lawyers is a trading name of Home Property Lawyers Limited which is a limited company registered in England and Wales, with registered number 9356408 and has its registered office at Queens House, Micklegate, York, YO1 6WG.

Home Property Lawyers is a recognised body, authorised and regulated by the Solicitors Regulation Authority (SRA). The firm’s SRA ID number is SRA 620418 and the Lincoln office’s branch number is SRA 622417.

The contact details for the SRA are:

Address: The Cube, 199 Wharfside Street, Birmingham, B1 1RN
Telephone: 0370 606 2555
SRA contact page:

We are governed by the SRA’s Standards and Regulations and our professional rules can be accessed at

Home Property Lawyers is a solicitors practice and all services we provide are regulated by the SRA. The relevant EEA state for the purposes of the Provision of Services Regulations 2009 is the UK. Our address for service is our registered office address. The VAT number for Home Property Lawyers Limited is 217 1562 27.

Home Property Lawyers Limited maintains professional indemnity insurance and details of our current policy including the name of our insurer, contact details and territorial coverage are available to our clients at our York or Lincoln offices.

Complaints Information

We want to give you the best possible service. However, if at any point you become unhappy or concerned about the service we have provided then you should inform us immediately, so that we can do our best to resolve the problem.

In the first instance it may be helpful to contact the person who is working on your case to discuss your concerns and we will do our best to resolve any issues at this stage. If you would like to make a formal complaint, then you can read our full complaints procedure here Making a complaint will not affect how we handle your case. Our complaints handling director is Sally Cottam who can be contacted by emailing

The Solicitors Regulation Authority can help you if you are concerned about our conduct or behaviour. This could be for things like dishonesty, taking or losing your money or treating you unfairly because of your age, a disability or other characteristic.

You can raise your concerns with the Solicitors Regulation Authority.

What to do if we cannot resolve your complaint

The Legal Ombudsman, which is able to consider complaints around service level issues, may be able to help you if we are unable to resolve your complaint ourselves. They will look at your complaint independently and it will not affect how we handle your case. Details about who can refer a complaint to the Legal Ombudsman can be found on its website (please see below).

Before accepting a complaint for investigation, the Legal Ombudsman will check that you have tried to resolve your complaint with us first. If you have, then you must take your complaint to the Legal Ombudsman within six months of receiving a final response to your complaint and

  • No more than six years from the date of act/omission; or
  • No more than three years from when you should reasonably have known there was cause for complaint.

If you would like more information about the Legal Ombudsman, please contact them.

Contact details

Call: 0300 555 0333 between 9am to 5pm.
Address: Legal Ombudsman, PO Box 6806, Wolverhampton, WV1 9WJ

Pursuant to the EU Regulation on Consumer Online Dispute Resolution, we are required to provide a link to the EU Online Dispute Resolution (ODR) platform which has been set up to assist with the resolution of complaints and contractual disputes arising from online transactions (which includes contracts entered into by electronic means). The ODR service can be accessed at and the firm’s contact is our complaints handling director whose email address is set out above.

Fraud alert

There have been a growing number of scams where the name of a law firm or the names of its staff members are used by fraudsters in scam communications often requesting a transfer of funds or seeking disclosure of confidential information.

If you receive any communication purportedly from us and you are concerned about whether it is genuine, please contact us immediately.

In particular, always verify bank details before transferring any funds. If you receive an email that purports to come from us with different bank details or a change to payment details, do not transfer any funds to the account stated. Please contact us immediately (on the telephone number you regularly use) to verify the details and check they are genuine. We will not accept responsibility if you transfer money to an incorrect bank account. Any transfer of funds will be entirely at your own risk.

Financial Services

We are not authorised under the Financial Services and Markets Act 2000 (“FSMA”), but we are able, in certain circumstances, to offer a limited range of investment services to the client because we are regulated by the SRA. We can provide these investment services if they are an incidental part of the professional services we have been engaged to provide.

If you have any problem with the service we have provided for you then please let us know. We will try to resolve any problem quickly and operate an internal complaints handling system to help us to resolve the problem between ourselves. If for any reason we are unable to resolve the problem between us, then we are regulated by the SRA and complaints and redress mechanisms are provided through the SRA and the Legal Ombudsman.

The Law Society is a designated professional body for the purposes of the FSMA, but responsibility for regulation and complaints handling has been separated from the Law Society’s representative functions. The SRA is the independent regulatory body of the Law Society and the Legal Ombudsman is the independent complaints handling body of the Law Society.

Insurance distribution

We are not authorised by the Financial Conduct Authority (“FCA”). However, we are included on the register maintained by the FCA so that we can carry on insurance distribution activity, which is broadly the advising on, selling and administration of insurance contracts. This part of our business, including arrangements for complaints or redress if something goes wrong, is regulated by the SRA. The register can be accessed via the FCA’s website at